The decision was expected whether Bangladesh will visit Pakistan for a full or a short tour after a scheduled board meeting on January 12 but nothing has changed following the conclusion of the meeting. Nazmul Hasan, Bangladesh Cricket Board President has briefed the media on Sunday after the meeting that the government had told them they can go ahead but keep tour short.
The Bangladesh have cited the recent tensions between Iran-US and have stated they will only tour for a 3 match T20I series.
“We are clear cut, but let’s see how they react,” Hassan said. “As far as security is concerned, T20 is better option,” he added The Bangladesh will now speak to PCB and communicate their decision officially. “They should be happy that we still want to go to play T20s. We just wanted rescheduling [of the Tests], not saying we won’t tour,” he stated.
Nazmul Hasan said considering the situation, the shorter format is ideal for now. “This is the best thing we can offer to Pakistan,” he mentioned.
Taking into account the reason Bangladesh have given, it seems unlikely the test series will be played in the UAE.
Bangladesh were due to play in Three T20I in Lahore on January 23, 25 and 27 followed by two match Test series. However, Bangladesh wanted to split the two series by playing only T20Is in Pakistan and Test series at a neutral venue but PCB already have rejected that idea.
It should be noted, Bangladesh senior men last toured Pakistan in 2007-08 when they played a five match ODI series and are yet to tour since then. However, their star player Tamim Iqbal did tour with World XI for a T20I series in Lahore in 2017.